- Projects, be they buildings or infrastructure, reach points in their life cycles when they are in need of revitalisation.
- In the case of buildings, the works to be carried out generally amount to a facelift, with particular regard to finishes, but occasionally involve more robust measures being taken.
- In the case of infrastructure, the interventions are frequently very significant.
- Measures that are typically taken on an urban development and upgrade project are described below.
- They result in an environment that is safe and attractive to the people who frequent the area, with convenient access, that is conducive to service-related business.
Urban Upgrade Process
- Revitalising formal public transport services
- Providing inter-modal transport facilities
- Minimising private vehicular through traffic
- Widening and beautifying sidewalks, thus encouraging pedestrian traffic, non-motorised transport and related business activity
- Installing Closed Circuit Television Surveillance (CCTV) systems, assisting in crime prevention
- Providing benches, refuse collection and ablution facilities, points of rest and points of interest
- Where appropriate, modifying vehicular traffic flow patterns.
Professionals Involved in Related Projects:
- Project Management
- Civil and Structural Engineering
- Architecture and Urban Design
- Electrical Engineering
- Traffic Engineering
- CCTV Surveillance
- Environmental and Heritage Investigation and Control
- Ellis Park Precinct Upgrade
- Operation Reclaim, Tshwane
- MBV Refurbishment
I have worked with Themba on a variety of projects within the Johannesburg Inner City area. All of the projects were “brown field”, making it necessary to work within / make changes to existing infrastructure to make the projects work. As a result all the projects presented huge challenges that had to be overcome within tight budgets and time frames.
Themba produced great engineering solutions that resulted in the success of each of the projects.
Themba’s performance was very professional and pro-active and I hence recommend their employment as consulting engineers.