“The Mandela House at 8115 Orlando West, on the corner of Vilakazi and Ngakane Streets, Soweto, was built in 1945, part of a Johannesburg City tender for new houses in Orlando. Nelson Mandela moved here in 1946 with his first wife, Evelyn Ntoko Mase, They divorced in 1957, and from 1958 he was joined in the house by his second wife, Nomzamo Winifred Madikizela (Winnie).” http://www.mandelahouse.co.za/history.asp
The Mandela Residence Museum comprised of the renovation of an existing building from its original state. A new off-shutter concrete frame was constructed while the roof consisted of a slab spanning between up-stand beams. Themba are proud of their role played in the designs of the reinforced concrete as well as the preparation of general arrangements and reinforcement drawings.
8115 Vilakazi Street, Orlando West, Soweto will forever be an icon project for Themba.
More information on the house and its history can be found at: http://www.mandelahouse.co.za/restoration.asp